close ad

How to check you're on the right tax code

Do you want to follow this topic? You need to be signed in for this feature
Last updated on

29 April 2015

Here's how to make sure your tax code is correct.

The L code: for most people

Tax codes are usually made up of a series of numbers and a letter. The most common letter is L. This means that you are under 65 and eligible for the basic personal allowance – this is the amount you can earn before income tax kicks in. The basic personal allowance for 2014-15, applicable to low and middle earners with an annual income of less than £100,000, is £10,000.

This exact allowance figure (divided by ten) will precede the letter in your code. So for the 2014-15 financial year, 1000L will be one of the most common codes – indicating that you are aged under 65 and earn less than £100,000, and are hence entitled to a £10,000 personal allowance before income tax kicks in.

The personal allowance is increasing to £10,600 for the 2015-16 tax year, so the most popular tax code will become 1060L.

Keep track of your finances and easily calculate your net worth with Plans. Claim your free access today >

The K code: for untaxed income

Another code that many people may have is the K code. This is essentially the reverse of an L code and is used when your level of untaxed additional income exceeds your personal allowance.

To take a step back: the taxman wants to know about any additional income you get from your employer – often this will be in the form of employee benefits. This income eats away and reduces your personal allowance.

Consider this example: your employer provides you with a brand new BMW company car to use both on the job and at home. All your petrol is paid for, as is the licensing and tax associated with the vehicle. The taxman will come up with a figure for the income you’re receiving from this (for personal journeys), and cut it from your personal allowance. This will give you a tax code that still ends in L, but has a smaller figure preceding it. So if the taxman decided that you were getting £6,000 of income from your company car, you will see a code of 400L on your new tax code (£10,000- £6,000 = £4,000 or 400).

However if this additional income exceeds your personal allowance, wiping it out completely, you’ll be shunted onto a K code.

To continue our example – if the taxman decides that you’re receiving £15,000 of additional income from the company BMW, you’ll see 500K as your tax code. This means that you need to pay income tax on all of your earnings plus the £5,000 additional income from the company car that exceeds your personal allowance.

For £100,000+ income

If you’re a high-earner, the situation starts to get a little more complex. For every £2 you earn over £100,000, you’ll lose £1 of your personal allowance. At this point you should be put on a T code, preceded by a figure showing the level of allowance you have left, providing any company benefits aren’t forcing you onto a K code.

For example, someone with an income of £110,000 with no untaxed benefits or other relief will see a 500T code – indicating £5,000 of personal allowance.

When your income reaches £120,000, you’ll lose all of your allowance and your whole income will be subject to the appropriate rates of income tax. At the point you’ll be put on a 0T code.

Easily calculate your total net worth, plus keep track of tax obligations and the value of investments, savings, assets, and other financial products with Plans. Access it for free today >

Y codes

If you were born before 6th April 1938 you are usually entitled to a bigger personal allowance, signified by the Y in your tax code.

For the 2015/16 tax-year, that allowance stands at £10,660. 

However, this allowance falls by £1 for every £2 that your net income is over £27,700, down to a minimum of £10,600.

Second jobs and pensions

You’ll usually receive a tax code for each source of income you receive. If you have more than one income, you’ll be asked to state which is your main source, and this will have the appropriate level of personal allowance applied to it.

All other income will all be taxed without any allowance. If you pay at basic rate, additional income sources will receive a BR code, higher rate payers will get a D0 code and those liable for the additional rate will get the D1 code.

An NT code will come through if no tax is to be taken. This could be because your total income is less than your personal allowance, or you’re a self-employed contractor who is liable to pay National Insurance but not income tax.

Emergency Codes

An emergency tax code is issued if HMRC does not have enough information about you to send your employer the correct code. This usually happens if you start your first job and get your first source of income part of the way into the financial year, or you haven’t got a P45 from a previous employer.

The emergency tax code for 2014-15 is 1000L – the same as the basic personal allowance code. This normally ensures you receive the basic amount of monthly tax-free pay. But it doesn’t take into account any other relief or allowances.

You may also see W1 (for weekly pay) or M1 (for monthly pay). This signifies that you are being taxed as if it is the first week or month of the financial year. However if you start work part of the way into the year, a W1 or M1 code could see you overpay in tax – as it is spreading your person allowance over too many months.

For example, if you start your first job five months into the financial year, you should receive a seventh of your personal allowance in each monthly wage packet. A W1 or M1 code will only give you a twelfth – meaning that you will be overpaying. However when you hand over your P45 or P46 to your new employer, your tax code should change – and you should be reimbursed with any losses. If you get to the end of the financial year and still haven’t been reimbursed with the overpaid tax, you should get it back in a refund.

M and N codes

Thanks to the Marriage Allowance, you may be able to pass 10% of your personal allowance onto your spouse.

If your annual income is £10,600 or less, and your partner is not a higher-rate taxpayer, you can pass on 10% of your personal allowance (£1,060 currently) to your other half.

The M code means that you have received 10% of your partner's allowance, while the N code means you have transferred 10% of your allowance to your partner.

If your tax code is wrong

If you think your tax code is wrong you need to tell HMRC as soon as possible so it can be corrected. You’ll need to have your tax reference and National Insurance number to hand – these can be found on your payslips or any letters from HMRC.

You can get hold of all of the contact details for HMRC by heading to its website.


Plans is a new service from Lovemoney.com that enables you to monitor and maintain all your finances in a single online account. It's a great way to save important documents such as tax codes, tax certificates, payslips and national insurance details so that they are easily accessible should you ever need to reference them.

Plans lets you directly upload documents digitally through a scanner or smart phone, or you can choose to send documents in to be securely processed and uploaded for you.

As well as being a great and easy way to save and store all your important financial information, Plans will also give you an up to the minute account of your financial wellbeing by automatically retrieving real-time valuations for all your pensions, investments, savings and other assets, so that you can see what your overall net-wealth really looks like. This is a great way to help you plan and organise your money more efficiently.

Find out more about Plans here or start your free 30 day trial here >

More on tax:

How to get a tax refund

What is payment on account?

How to slash your Council Tax bill

Ten ways to avoid Capital Gains Tax

How to cut your Inheritance Tax bill

The true cost of having a company car

How to get your online self-assessment tax return right

Do you have a question not answered here? ASK IT IN OUR Q&A SECTION