Answer a question

Do you want to follow this topic? You need to be signed in for this feature
Do you want to save this article to read later? You need to be signed in for this feature

Paying PAYE but self employed for 2nd job

I am employed full time & on PAYE, earning around 39K. However, am about to take up extra work on a self employed basis - what are the tax implications?


Do you want to answer this question? You need to be signed in for this feature


You'll need to do a tax return and declare the extra income ... any income you take from the self employed job will need to be added up as your total income and then pay separately the extra tax that wasn't collected through PAYE.

I agree with SoftwareBear. If you don't already have to complete an annual return, you will need to apply for it. The return can be completed online after the end of the tax year. As this will be income on top of your PAYE earnings, please assume higher rate on all of it and put it by until you complete the return. After the first year, they will make allowance for the extra income so that you will have to make a payment on account for the next year of 50% of the additional tax. Have you notified your current employer? There could well be a requirement in your contract of employment. There are also maximum hours under the Working Time Directive. Mike

Remember, if you do a Self Assessment tax form and you are self employed you can make all kinds of deductions against your SE income, like, petrol when running your 'business', stationery, stamps, use of a room in your house as an office, percentage of car running costs, work clothes if appropriate, these are just a few. This way you can reduce your extra income and keep under the higher income bracket.