Answer a question

30 April 2010

Can you claim housing benefit in the UK if you own property abroad?

A neighbour (UK National) who has lived here in Spain for a number of years is being forced to return to the UK for health reasons. They are unable to sell their property here in Spain so must return to the UK and rent, probably in the private sector. Would the fact that they own property in Spain mean that they cannot claim housing benefit in the UK? They accept that a property is an asset but it is (at least for now) an unrealisable asset, in that they are unable to sell it. My understanding is that they have "minimal" savings, I would estimate, no more than 10K This "problem" is happening more and more in Spain and probably other countries to......does anyone have any constructive advice? Thanks in anticipation.

  • REPORT This comment has been reported.

6 Answers


Be the first to answer

Do you want to answer this question? You need to be signed in for this feature

Answer a question

Be the first to ask a question

  • {{ question.title }}

    {{ question.authorName }} On

    {{ question.answerCount }} Answers

Copyright © lovemoney.com All rights reserved.