Answer a question

Do you want to follow this topic? You need to be signed in for this feature
Do you want to save this article to read later? You need to be signed in for this feature

Do I need to pay taxes on interest I receive when I pay out the same amount and no gain?

I bought a house for my daughter on my home equity line. She is paying me the cost of the home and paying me the interest that I am paying on the loan. I am not gaining anything. I wrote up mortgage papers for her. We paid 'cash' for the house in essence. We are both on the title but she is 100% owner occupied. I did this because she had to have a place to live and her credit is bad. My question is how do I handle that on my taxes. She is paying the interest on her portion of the home equity loan for my other house which I am renting to my other daughter till I can move back there.


Do you want to answer this question? You need to be signed in for this feature


So far as income tax is concerned, you can offset interest paid against rent/interest received within a definable business. The problem might come from Capital Gains Tax as you can only claim relief for a property which you live in. If you are not living in it during the last 3 years of ownership, but you used to, you can also claim the last 3 years. It doesn't matter that it might not be gaining in value now, because any past gains would be apportioned across the whole period of ownership. Mike