Warm Front scheme closing: apply now for free insulation

Updated on 16 January 2013 | 1 Comment

This Government scheme is due to shut on Saturday so you need to act now if you think you might be eligible.

There are only days left to apply for a Government grant to improve the heating or insulation in your home via the Warm Front scheme.

The closing date for applications is currently this Saturday (19th January). However, Labour has called for the scheme to be extended after revealing that only half of the budget allocated to it has been spent.

How Warm Front works

The scheme, which provides up to £3,500 for work on your home, is only available in England. The work can include loft, cavity wall or hot water tank insulation, draught proofing and replacement heating.

The money is paid directly to a Government-approved company, which will carry out the work.

To qualify, you must own your own home or be renting it from a private landlord and be receiving one of the following income-related benefits:

  • Pension Credit – the Guaranteed Credit or Savings Credit element
  • the support or work related element of income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit – and your income is £15,860 or less
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Income Support or income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance.

If you receive either Working Tax Credit or Income Support or income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, you must meet other conditions in order to be eligible to apply. There are full details on the GOV.UK website.

How to claim

You can claim online via the Warm Front website, by phoning 0300 123 1234 (Monday to Friday 8am-6pm, Saturday 9am-5pm) or by filling out the application form and posting it to:

Warm Front
Carillion Energy Services
Freepost NEA12054
Newcastle upon Tyne

The Warm Front scheme is being replaced by the Energy Company Obligation (ECO). This obliges energy companies to offer £540 million of free support to improve the energy efficiency of homes owned by people on the lowest incomes.

The ECO scheme will run in tandem with the Government’s new Green Deal, which offers loans to pay for energy efficiency and renewable energy measures. These loans are then repaid via a household’s energy bills.

Help for people elsewhere in the UK

If you live in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, you could be eligible for help from another scheme. Read Don't miss out on free insulation and heating schemes for more information on these.

More on household bills

Ten ways to save on energy

How to save money on your food shopping

How to find the cheapest diesel and petrol prices

How to complain about your energy supplier

The alternatives to the big six energy providers


Be the first to comment

Do you want to comment on this article? You need to be signed in for this feature

Copyright © lovemoney.com All rights reserved.