How to claim on your insurance after a flood

17 September 2016

Flash flooding has hit parts of the UK. Here's how to claim on your insurance if your home has been affected.

What to do immediately

1. Call your insurance company as soon as you can. Many firms provide a 24-hour helpline for policyholders to call for advice.

2. If you can, take photos or videos of the damage as this may help your claim.

3. Keep water-damaged furniture and other items. Don't dispose of any items of value until you're told to by a loss adjuster.

4. Get any emergency repair works that will prevent further damage done as soon as possible. However, more elaborate or permanent measures should not be taken without prior approval from your insurer.

5. Check whether your insurance company offers alternative accommodation as part of your cover. It's possible that you could be re-housed for weeks, so keep a complete record of any additional spending while you're not living at home.

You should also make sure you:

  • don't use electricity or gas supplies
  • don't drink tap water until you've been advised that it's safe to do so
  • move essentials and valuables to safety. You should transfer food, clothing and televisions upstairs to limit damage, and move furniture away from the walls.

What to do later on

1. If you have comprehensive car insurance, dig out your policy and check to see what level of cover you have for flood damage. Again, call your insurer's helpline for advice.

2. Consider hiring your own loss adjuster. In theory, loss adjusters are supposed to be independent mediators, but you may want your own assessment of the damage in case of a dispute.

3. Keep all receipts and other relevant paperwork safe. You'll need them to support your claim.

4. Avoid the temptation to quickly redecorate before your home has completely dried out.

If you have a problem with your insurance claim

If you feel that your claim isn't being dealt with quickly enough by your insurer, or your insurer rejects your claim, you can contact the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). It can contact the insurer on your behalf and try to get a resolution. You'll find more information at the Financial Ombudsman Service's website. Bear in mind that the insurer has eight weeks to respond to your complaint.

The FOS says it is seeing an increase in the number of complaints about delays with home insurance claims following flooding. It has called on insurers to be much quicker and clearer in how they deal with claims.

Renewing your insurance policy

Finally, if you've been bailed out by your insurer, then you may find that your neighbourhood is later categorised as a high-risk area. So, watch out for higher policy excesses or premiums when your next renewal notice arrives. After a big claim, or if your home is prone to flooding, you may find it difficult to find cover elsewhere, so this may be one of those occasions when you're better off sticking with your current provider, rather than shopping around for lower quotes.

More on flooding and insurance

How to protect your home against flooding

Ways to cut your home insurance


Be the first to comment

Do you want to comment on this article? You need to be signed in for this feature

Copyright © All rights reserved.