Follow this topicFollow this topic Q&A » Buy to let investments

Tenant on benefit left without notice

by Debtfree1 21 November 2012  |  Comments 2 comments  |  Love Love  0 loves

I had a troublesome tenant on benefit who I believe purposely moved out of the rented flat and informed the council but not me.

Now the council want me to pay back £450 of housing benefit overpayment. He lied to them that he had given me notice and falsified a letter.

The case is now with the Benefit Tribunal. Do you think I stand a chance of winning?


Enjoyed this? Show it some love


Comments (2)

  • MikeGG1
    Love rating 909
    MikeGG1 posted

    It is, of course, always possible that he did write to you and that the letter never arrived,

    Unless you can establish that he had a history of this sort of thing, it is better to go for the non-arrival rather than the falsification of the letter. He should have sent it 'Signed For'.

    I presume that the contract was with him rather than the council. If it was the Council then they would be responsible for giving notice.


    Posted on 21 November 2012 | Love Love  0 loves Report
  • Debtfree1
    Love rating 0
    Debtfree1 posted

    Thanks Mike.

    The tenancy agreement was with the tenant and not the council.

    He may have sent it but I doubt it. He caused quite a lot of trouble during his stay and the housing office said he was a 'vulnerable' person. I'm not sure what that means but I think it may be mental health.....


    Posted on 21 November 2012 | Love Love  0 loves Report

Post an answer

Sign in or register to post an answer.

Something you're dying to ask... or answer?

Register with to start asking and answering questions on Q&A.

Get started now

Sign in for a better Q&A

Registered already? Great! You can just sign in to ask and answer questions.

Sign in
W3C  Thank you for using Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels