Frugal Recipes - Xmas Special (Leftovers)
Got lots of turkey leftovers? Check out this original recipe on how to turn them into a delicious massaman curry - at a cost of just 62p per person!
What better than a curry on Boxing Day? You've no doubt got lots of thighs, legs, wings and spuds left from yesterday - here's how to turn them into a delicious meal.
Ingredients - The Massaman curry
- 1 large white onion (16p)
- 1 lime (20p)
- 2 cans (400ml each) of coconut milk (98p)
- 1 105g Bart Massaman paste (£1.75)
- 500g of Tesco easy cook rice (64p)
The cupboard staples\leftovers...
- Salt, black pepper, vegetable oil, peanut butter, brown sugar, fish sauce, potatoes (leftover from Christmas day) , turkey (or pheasant) thighs, legs and wings.
If you already have the cupboard staples, then according to mysupermarket.co.uk, this trolley was cheapest at Tesco, where it came to £3.73 - that's 62p per head!
- Firstly, get a large wok on the heat and add a really good glug of vegetable oil. Season the thighs, legs and wings and brown in the wok. Remove from the wok and then add the sliced white onion and soften a little.
- Now add the massaman paste, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and salt and pepper. Cook out the paste a little and a cup of water to loosen the sauce.
- Next up add the coconut milk and three tablespoons of fish sauce. Bring up to a simmer and add back the pheasant pieces. Simmer on a low heat for 45 minutes until the pheasant is tender.
- Finally add the leftover potatoes to heat through and the juice of one lime.
- Serve with steamed white rice and happy eating!
A bit about our Chef, Paul Warburton
Paul Warburton, a lovemoney.com staff member, had a hectic career in the world of hot kitchens and screaming chefs before joining the lovemoney.com products development team.
During these years, under the tutorage of some great chefs, he honed his skills in cooking for numbers within a tight cost and portion-controlled environment.
Now he's planning to regularly offer his help to all budding chefs in the lovemoney.com community, so you can enjoy his original, low-cost recipes with your family and friends every Friday for free!
What lovemoney.com readers have said about Paul's other recipes
Please add your own comments using the comments box below!
If you like this recipe, why not also try Paul's other Frugal Recipes: Roasted pheasant Xmas meal | Portobello mushroom, port and stilton wellington | Smoked mackerel pate on crostini and red onion confit | Rolled breast of lamb with garlic mash and Savoy cabbage | Lemon & rosemary chicken thighs | Thai Pollock curry with egg noodles | Chunky pea and ham soup| Spaghetti alla carbonara | Pork stroganoff | Green chilli meat balls, sunflower seed couscous salad and mint yoghurt | Tagliatelle with air dried cured ham and minted peas | Beef, thyme and mushroom loaf with potato dauphinoise | Mixed bean and coriander green curry with fragrant rice | Egg Florentine with smoked cheddar and rocket salad | Beef, mushroom and thyme pie | Spicy tuna, bean and coriander lasagne | Beef koftas with a feta, spinach and fresh mint salad | Chorizo and pea risotto | Sausage and rosemary hotpot | Beef & thyme (Lacashire) hotpot