Feed five for under a fiver
Check out this amazing recipe for green chilli pork meat balls, sunflower seed couscous salad and mint yoghurt - and feed five for less than £5.
Recipe #10: green chilli pork meat balls, sunflower seed couscous salad and mint yoghurt
- 500g of pork mince (£1.95)
- 500g of couscous (80p)
- 500g of low fat natural yoghurt (46p)
- 100g of sunflower seeds (60p)
- 100g of green chillies (30p)
- 150g of fresh mint (64p)
1 medium sized red onion (20p)
The cupboard staples...
Salt, black pepper, 3 cloves of garlic (from last week) and olive oil.
If you already have the cupboard staples, then according to mysupermarket.co.uk, this trolley was cheapest at ASDA, where it came to just £4.95.
- Let's make the meatballs first as they'll need to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes - mix together the pork, 3 finely chopped (seeds up to you!) green chillies, 3 cloves of finely chopped garlic and salt and pepper. Mould into small balls (around 15) and rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Now for the couscous salad - place 300g (500g if you're hungry) of couscous in a glass bowl, pour over twice the volume of boiling water and cover the bowl with cling film. It will take around 10 minutes to steam - give the couscous a good stir with a fork at the end to avoid lumps.
- While the couscous is steaming get a pan on the heat and add the sunflower seeds - toast the seeds lightly and take off the heat just as they start to smoke. Also finely chop the red onion.
- The couscous will be ready now so stir in the red onion, sunflower seeds and a good big glug of olive oil. Season to taste.
- For the mint yoghurt finely chop the fresh mint and stir into the yoghurt with a little black pepper.
- Using the pan you toasted the seeds in, get back on a high heat and drizzle in a little olive oil. Once the pan is really hot get the meatballs in and make sure you get loads of colour on them - don't be put off using some heat. Once the meatballs are browned all over, lower the heat to ensure they cook all the way through. Serve up with the couscous salad and a big dollop of mint yoghurt over the meatballs.
A bit about our Chef, Paul Warburton
Paul Warburton, a lovemoney.com staff member, had a hectic career in the world of hot kitchens and screaming chefs before joining the lovemoney.com products development team.
During these years, under the tutorage of some great chefs, he honed his skills in cooking for numbers within a tight cost and portion-controlled environment.
Now he's planning to regularly offer his help to all budding chefs in the lovemoney.com community, so you can enjoy his original, low-cost recipes with your family and friends every Saturday for free!
What lovemoney.com readers have said about Paul's other recipes
Please add your own comments using the comments box below!
If you like this recipe, why not also try Paul's other 'Feed five for under a fiver' recipes: Tagliatelle with air dried cured ham and minted peas | Egg Florentine with smoked cheddar and rocket salad | Beef, mushroom and thyme pie | Spicy tuna, bean and coriander lasagne | Beef koftas with a feta, spinach and fresh mint salad | Chorizo and pea risotto | Sausage and rosemary hotpot