25 affordable Mother's Day gifts you won't find on the high street
Want to give your mum something that ISN'T chocolates or flowers? You've come to the right place!
Just before Christmas, I wrote 30 affordable gifts that you won’t find on the high street. The article proved really popular, so I’ve put together the next instalment - this time focused on Mother's Day (Sunday 14th March).
Here, I’m going to highlight 25 unique handcrafted presents, all priced at £20 or less (plus postage).
I think these gifts are much more interesting than flowers or chocolates… and they’ll last a lot longer, too!
Good places to get unique gifts
There are many websites out there that promote independent designers and handcrafted gifts. So if you don't find anything you like among the gifts I highlight below, check out some of the following:
Coriandr: Sells all things creative and handmade.
Misi: A marketplace and community designed to showcase creative talent.
Not On The High Street: Promotes high-quality, original products and personal service, though not solely hand-crafted items.
All Things Original: Stocks a range of creative gifts from independent British designers.
Not Mass Produced: Promotes the work of eco-friendly British and European artisans.
Etsy: An alternative to Folksy, this handmade marketplace is enormous, and based in the US.
Here, I’ve chosen gifts from Folksy, a ‘marketplace’ for British designer-makers. I've chosen to use this site, because I find it particularly easy to use and navigate around. However, it's a good idea to check out the other sites as well.
1. Look at these delicate pink pearl and sterling silver earrings from OV Gillies. They’ve been made using freshwater pearls, Czech glass and sterling silver, and are priced at £13.
2. These unusual amethyst glass stacks are another earring option. Three sparkly rondelles are ‘stacked’ together on a sterling silver ear wire; and the pair costs £7.50.
3. For mums who prefer necklaces, there’s this heart-shaped porcelain pendant from Amanda Mercer. It’s been hand-imprinted with the outline of a swallow, and comes in at just £6.
4. Brooches usually make good gifts for mums. First up, have a look at this vibrant wooden butterfly brooch from Gossamer Wings. It’s colourful, completely one-of-a-kind and priced at £15.
5. For mums who like Liberty and/or dogs, this Terrier brooch from Cherish Me should fit the bill. It’s been appliquéd with Liberty print fabric, and comes in at £13.
6. This felt feather pin is quirky, colourful and stylish. It’s been designed and hand-cut by Issy B Accessories & Millinery, and costs £10.
7. And one for mums with a good sense of humour. The designer Bookity turns vintage books into unusual accessories and homeware items. Here’s a literary quote brooch all about mothers, priced at £4.50.
8. This chic butterfly purse is from Dee Hewitt. It’s made of leather, and costs £14.
9. If your mum is a crafty so-and-so, she might appreciate this very cute sewing machine coin purse from Dinky Daisy, priced at £7.75.
10. This small handbag, from Created and Felted, is a clean, curvy shape and very tactile. It’s been hand-knitted with wool, then felted, and comes in at £14.
11. And this skinny lambswool scarf should be perfect for chilly spring evenings. It’s been made by Wildcat Designs, and costs £20.
Soaps and creams
12. The Body Shop isn’t the only place you can get nice smellies. Have a look at this warm amber and vanilla sugar cube soap, from Girl on a Rock. It’s designed to cleanse, exfoliate and moisturise the skin - and you’ll get 12 cubes for £3.50.
13. I love this biscuit soap set from Bits n Bobs. You’ll get an Oreo, a Bourbon, a Jammy Dodger and a Custard Cream - and each soap smells like the biscuit is based on! A set of four ‘biscuits’ costs just £2.75. Just don’t eat them…
14. Last of my soap choices is this rather luscious black raspberry and vanilla soap from Saffron Barr. A 100g bar is priced at £3.30.
15. If your mum is a cat lover, why not get her a very cute sock cat from the gloriously-named Pussy Galore? They generally cost between £15 and £18, and you can even get one custom-made.
16. These coasters from LittleBirdy Designs are both useful and aesthetically pleasing! Each bird design has been applied to natural stone, and a set of four is priced at £16.
17. Next up, a flower with a difference. This beautiful cream and pink rose has been handmade by Fleurs De Perles, using a technique called French beading. Unlike real roses, it should last a lifetime - and at £20 it costs about the same!
18. These ceramic cup cake candle holders from Lauren Ceramics should prove a hit with mums who bake. Each one has been hand-glazed in a slightly different way, and a set of four comes in at £11.
19. This bird bowl from Prince Design would be perfect for jewellery, soap or a candle. The pattern has been created by pressing vintage lace into the clay - and the bowl is priced at £16.
20. Green-fingered mums could bring a bit of style to their gardens with these ceramic plant labellers from Caroline Nash Crafts. Each one has had the name of a different herb pressed into it, and a bundle of eight costs £10.50.
Paper goods and pictures
21. Poppies from Zebedee is a hand-printed lino cut design, using five bright colours. It comes with a mount so it can be easily framed, and it’s priced at £12.
22. If your mum loves tea, cats, books, or all three, have a look at this sweet little painting from Daisies Are Our Silver. It’s an original watercolour, and costs £15.
23. This dreamy and nostalgic bluebell meadows photographic print from Ginger Lilly Tea could be another winner. It can be bought as a 12” x 8” print for £8.
24. Finally, a couple of rather special Mother's Day cards: First, have a look at this intricate card from Sylvie Howitt Papercuts. It’s a print taken from a papercut design using a vintage map, and it costs £2.50.
25. Last but not least, you can get a hand-cut Mother's Day card from Quite Contrary Crafts for £3.95. And you can even get a custom card created, incorporating a personal message from you.
Whatever you get....
Just remember to order as soon as possible if you’re buying Mother's Day gifts online. That way, the sellers will have the chance to send you your items in time for the big day.
If you like bargains, check out our new Frugal Friday blog, which rounds up the hottest bargains, freebies and discounts available on the high street, every Friday. If you're registered on lovemoney.com, you can follow the blog and find new posts as soon as they are published, via your personal homepage. Never miss a bargain again - register now.